Friday, June 23, 2006

Recipe of the Week # 5
Asparagus and Courgette Frittata

That's asparagus and zucchini to our American friends.
I've decided that we should eat vegetarian at least once a week as we eat far too much meat. It's not that I think meat is bad in any way, I just don't think it's necessary to have it every day. There are loads of delicious vegetarian things, once of my favourites being parmiggiana which I'll probably write about soon. We've also been eating a lot more fish recently as we can get great fresh squid amongst other fish from our local fishmonger. Mike beat me to the recipe of the week with a Brazilian Moqueca - a delicious fish stew, so this recipe of the week limps in at second place.

This frittata is great as it's so versatile. Sometimes I put mushrooms in, red peppers or spinach and if you fancy a bit of meat, bacon is great too.


Serves 2
What you need:

5 Eggs
1 Onion
1 Medium potato cut into small cubes
7 Asparagus
1 Courgette
Parmesan
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper


Cook the asparagus in boiling water and set aside to cool. In the meantime, gently fry the onions in olive oil then add the potato and courgette and fry until soft. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, salt and pepper and add a good handful of parmesan. Chop the asparagus into small pieces and add to the pan. Add the egg mixture and cook on a medium heat for a about 10 minutes. Add some more parmesan to the top and put the pan under the grill until slightly browned on top. Serve with a green salad.

7 comments:

ginkers said...

I've never been a great fan of asparagus, normally going for the straight zucchini option in my frittata but, I admit, you have tempted me. Maybe I'll have one to celebrate getting to the quarter finals!

Wrinkled Weasel said...

Thank you. As you know, we kind of have a supply of eggs, straight from the hen's bum. Always good to find another way of using them.

me said...

keep em coming, especially the healthy options. i need to eat nice, filling stuff, but i need to loose weight. desperately.

Red said...

I find it hard to cook with asparagus; it just doesn't yield the results I want it to yield (a bit like the azzurri!). But maybe I should give this a go.

a.c.t. said...

Ginkers, you should definitely celebrate Italy getting through with some asparagus. It's a pretty strange thing to do, but why not?
WW, I'm glad your hen's bums are functioning properly.
Fatfiz, why don't you try it? You can put just about anything in it.
Red, we usually just boil it for 5 mins and melt some butter over it, really easy.

Booklogged said...

Just stumbled across your blog. This recipe looks delicious. How do you prepare the zucchini - grate, slice, dice?

a.c.t. said...

Hi booklogged, you dice the zucchini into very small cubes. I'll drop by later and visit your blog.